The Principal as Professional Learning Community Leader is designed to provide principals with hands-on, practical support as they build professional learning communities (PLCs) in their schools in order to improve student achievement. With an emphasis on creating a collaborative culture for action, this book offers step-by-step plans, along with practical strategies, to use with staff to create the conditions within which PLCs thrive. The book leads principals through the process of building a PLC by defining the key attributes of PLCs; explaining the principalÆs role in leading the process; and then showing how to create a steering team, introduce the concept to staff, develop teacher learning teams, and create mission, vision and goal statements as the foundation of PLCs.
1. Building Professional Learning Communities
2. The Role of Principals in Leading Professional Learning Communities
3. Planning for Professional Learning Communities
4. Introducing Staff to Professional Learning Communities: Foundations
5. Supporting Learning Teams: The Pillars
6. The Roof: Continuous Learning and Continuous Improvement
The Principal's Tool Kit