`Brimming with insights and practical ideas, this book should be in the hands of every teacher. I enthusiastically recommend this book for teachers in training, experienced and veteran teachers, and administrators searching for effective strategies and techniques for the classroom' - Robert Wubbolding, Director Center for Reality Therapy Cincinnati, Ohio
Educational research has shown that caring, positive relationships between educators and students leads to increased student achievement, motivation, and resilience. John M Vitto will provide educators with the knowledge and skills to build positive relationships with students and foster social-emotion learning. The author uses the term "relationship-driven discipline" to describe his techniques, which are based solidly in the research of resiliency, risk, and classroom management. By integrating relationship-driven discipline, teachers can raise student achievement, create a more positive classroom environment, and help in the long-term prevention of future risk (such as drug use or other risky behaviours). Furthermore, he asserts that relationship-driven discipline can also increase student motivation.
This is the only book to combine resiliency, classroom management, and discipline. It differs from other classroom management books in its focus on preserving and enhancing teacher-student relationships for improved classroom management by enhancing teacher-student connections, this approach also promotes social-emotional competency and protects children from future risk the author provides concise and complete foundation in concepts such as resiliency along with specific techniques for translating theory into practice.
Important features of the book include:
· Numerous case examples drawn from the author's experience as a school psychologist working with teachers and students.
· Questions at the end of each chapter promote teacher self-evaluation, reflection, and group discussion
· Classroom strategies and tips that can be implemented immediately
· Chapter objectives and chapter summaries help readers navigate the text and locate important information easily
· Recommended resources in each chapter can be used for further study and professional development
An important resource for teachers at all levels and anyone who works with teachers. Counsellors will also find this a useful guide to helping teachers incorporate relationship-building techniques as a means of improving the classroom environment.