'This is like the 'Everything You Wanted to Know About Co-Teaching' book that answers questions you did not even know to ask! Murawski's wit, enthusiasm, and expertise are engaging and informative throughout. From the details of starting a co-teaching relationship to the fine art of sustaining the co-teaching union, this book has something for everyone.'ùPeggy King-Sears, Professor of Special EducationGeorge Mason UniversityCreate a successful partnership that provides the ultimate learning environment for every student!Many districts across the nation are incorporating co-teaching into their schools in order to create the best learning environment for all students. This practical, easy-to-use resource offers administrators and teachers a wealth of strategies and tools for setting up, conducting, and maintaining a successful co-teaching relationship that addresses the diverse needs in today's inclusive classrooms. Offered in a lighthearted, humorous manner that compares the co-teaching relationship to a marriage, this comprehensive guide provides substantive, field-tested differentiation and application strategies strongly supported by research and years of expert, hands-on experience. Numerous replicable forms, worksheets, checklists, and examples are included as well as helpful references, Web sites, co-teaching scenarios and case studies, and much more. Each chapter is packed with straightforward ideas for:Dealing with difficult contentMastering scheduling challenges and personality conflictsSetting roles and responsibilities Various approaches for co-instructionCo-planning and co-assessementThis resource is ideal for helping schools improve current programs or as a reference for teachers who have no experience with co-teaching and are ready to initiate a new relationship.
About the Author
Introduction: Why This Book?
Part I. The Dating Scene
1. Understanding What It Means to Be in a Relationship
2. Dating, Living Together, and Marriage
3. General Educators Are From Jupiter, Special Service Providers Are From Saturn
Self-Assessment #1: Are We Ready to Date?
4. Matchmaker, Matchmaker: The Role of the Administrator
Part II. The Engagement
5. Getting to Know Your Partner
6. Registering for the Wedding
7. Discussing the Future
Self-Assessment #2: Are We Ready to Get Engaged?
8. Matchmaker, Matchmaker: The Role of the Administrator
Part III. The Wedding
9. For Better or Worse: Establishing Norms for Behavior and Academics
10. For Richer or Poorer: Sharing Space and Materials
11. Planning Quality Time Together: Why, When, and How to Plan
Self-Assessment Part #3: Are We Ready to Marry?
12. Matchmaker, Matchmaker: The Role of the Administrator
Part IV. The Marriage
13. Working Together to Wrangle the Lil' Rascals
14. Teaching the Seven Dwarves
15. Are We Successful Yet?
16. Playing Nicely With Other Parents
Self-Assessment, Part IV: Will We Be Able to Celebrate Our Anniversary?
17. Matchmaker, Matchmaker: The Role of the Administrator
Appendix: Keeping the Honeymoon Going