Teaching dual language learners? You’re not alone!
When implemented with commitment to collaboration, dual language programs work—and two teachers are better than one. Leveraging the power of teacher collaboration is the key to leading all your students to multilingual identity development and language, literacy, and academic success.
This practical book adapts a widely used, evidence-based collaboration and co-teaching framework specifically for educators in dual language contexts. Features include:
- Special consideration to social justice and promoting critical consciousness
- Viable options for schools, districts, and state education agencies to effectively support and expand dual language education
- Seven proven co-teaching models, newly applied to elementary and secondary dual language environments
- Templates and tools for collaborative curriculum alignment and implementation of dual language instruction
- Authentic examples of success from collaborative dual language teams around the US and beyond
More and more schools are implementing dual language programs to serve multilingual learners. This first-of-its-kind innovative resource helps collaborating educators work together to design, deliver, and assess engaging instruction for multilingualism and multiliteracies.
Collaborative planning is an essential component of dual language programs regardless of the model of instruction. This sample presents the what, when, and why of collaborative planning. Read on to discover how collaborative planning can ensure impactful program implementation and consistent and rigorous yet highly supportive learning experiences for all students.
What is dual language education and what are its benefits? How can collaboration and co-teaching support dual language educators? This free sample may change the way you think about dual language learning!
This book aims to facilitate collaborative approaches while working with dual language learners, transforming dual language programs for multilingualism. Each of the chapters provides essential, research-informed, evidence-based content; tools and resources for actionable transfer to practice; real-world vignettes with work samples and photos; and built-in points of reflection that allow you to make each chapter applicable to your own context. Download this sample for a more detailed summary of each chapter and the book’s key tools.