Through a comprehensive review of various afterschool programmes across the United States, respected authority on programme effectiveness Olatokunbo S. Fashola, sheds new light on "what works" to increase academic achievement during nonschool hours. Administrators, policy-makers, teachers, and researchers can benefit from the examples of both the successes and the shortcomings encountered by their colleagues in the quest to create enhanced learning opportunities in safe and enriching environments.
About the Author
1. Why Afterschool Programs?
2. Language Arts Afterschool Programs
3. Enrichment Afterschool Programs
4. Tutoring Programs to Improve Reading and Study Skills
5. Community-Based Afterschool Programs
6. How to Create an Afterschool Program: From Conception to Implementation
8. Conclusions and Implications: What Works
Resources: Contacts for Information on Programs Reviewed