"I strongly endorse this book and feel that it holds great promise for the field."
Coauthor of Cultural Proficiency
Proactive leadership fosters strong interethnic communities!
Ray TerrellCoauthor of
This timely volume provides powerful models of leadership that are effective in developing schools where positive interethnic relations can flourish. Countering the often-heard belief that troubled race relations are endemic to schools, author Rosemary Henze and her team of researchers face the issue head on by incorporating diversity issues into educational leadership. Schools are vehicles for change in race/ethnic relations when proactive leadership is developed and maintained.
Vignettes and case studies allow you to assess and develop your leadership skills in interethnic relations by helping you to
- Recognize and develop their own leadership strengths in a diverse school
- Assess how organizational structures support or constrain positive relations
- Understand the nature of ethnic conflict or tension in your school
- Identify your school's priority needs
- Develop a core vision of interethnic relations
- Create and implement a plan for promoting positive interethnic relations
- Document the effectiveness of your plan
The broad concept of leadership presented here includes not only principals and administrators, but also teachers, parents, counselors, students, and community human relations professionals who emerge as leaders facing a range of issues—including gang violence, racial conflict, staff divisions, and other issues—that need to be addressed in the area of interethnic interactions. These representatives of schools with diverse populations form leadership teams able to speak out for real educational reform in reducing racism and prejudice in schools.
Watch the Leading for Diversity Video.
Download the Facilitator's Guide.