1) Establishing a common mission, vision, set of values and goals
2) Ensuring achievement for all students by setting up systems for prevention and intervention and building on student strengths
3) Engaging in collaborative teaming that is focused on teaching for learning
4) Using data based decision-making for continuous improvement
5) Actively engaging families and the community
6) Building sustainable leadership capacity
With contributions from Pedro A. Noguera, Andy Hargreaves, and Dean Fink, this book not only outlines the Who, What, and How of becoming a high-performing school and learning community, but also shows how to avoid ten common routes to failure, and provides numerous resources, many case stories and examples from Alan's work in schools and districts around the U.S.